Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Week 7....Keeping on Track!

With all the graduation partys, outdoor concerts and the beautiful weather in Michigan this month, it's been hard to get to the gym. While kayaking is great for upper body conditioning it doesn't do much for the lower body so I'm determined to start walking in the evenings when I can't get to the gym.


Kayaking Essentials
If you've never kayaked before here are a few things you may want to take along with you:
1.Watertight box ( I bought mine at Walmart in the fishing department for $8.00.
2.Travel size toilet tissue (you never know ;)
3.Whistle ( some rivers require kayaks to have them)
4. Pepper spray ( always a good idea in nature)
5. GPS, phone, car keys, camera, wallet (I always feel safer with my stuff than leaving it locked in my car)
6. Ziplock bags for snacks and dry clothes
7. Small soft cooler for beverages 
8. Dry towel
9. Sunscreen
10. Water shoes ( I don't use them but if you have a mucky place you have to go in, they are good to have)
*Attach your box to your kayak or put in compartment in case you tip, you won't lose your stuff.







My Next Adventure is Zumba

This looks so fun and I don't think I would get bored!






Keeping Strong Bones
The thought of breaking another bone after my ankle fiasco in 2008, sends shivers up my spine (yep,that's my actual xray). I can't imagine the difficulty of healing a broken hip. I've read enough to know that weight training is essential in maintaining good bone strength. Here are some home exercises for when I can't make it to the gym:









Red Quinoa with veggies, raisins and pine nuts


1 cup red Quinoa cooked in 2 cups of vegetable broth according to package.
Roast asparagus, cubed sweet potato and diced green onion in extra virgin olive oil, curry powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Toast pine nuts in a dry saute pan till light brown.
Add 1/2 cup raisins and toss all together in a bowl.
Add juice from half a lemon over everything and enjoy!

I found this cute little juicer at Marshall's for $2.98 and had to have it!!










Chocolate  Cherry Banana Smoothie
This has been my favorite smoothie so far....it reminds me of a chocolate covered cherry with a little banana kick! Yummmmmm!!!
1/2 frozen banana
2 Tbls. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup black cherry juice
1/2 cup plain no fat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 scoop ground Chia seeds
1 Tbls. ground Flax
I found this cherry juice at Value Fresh under $6.00. Some I've seen as much as $25.00!!








Happy Journey,

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment